Challenge: Manual Database Deployments
Manual processes to create, review, and deploy database changes can’t keep up with today’s velocity of change. Risk is introduced due to human error, deployments fail in production, rework is required, and most importantly, Enterprise DBAs lose productivity performing critical, but tedious, low level work. Supporting Agile development practices like Branching/Merging or Continuous Delivery is difficult, if not impossible.
Automate your database deployments with Datical DB to increase velocity, reduce risk, and increase application quality.
- Changeset Wizard to create database changes for any skill level
- DB Status provides what changes have run, what needs to be run, and what can be ignored
- Deployment Plan organizes your environment and configuration information
- Leverage your investment in automation with Datical DB Integrations >>
- Deploy to any database you can connect to, anywhere
Challenge: Managing SQL Scripts
Without a centralized location to store and version your database changes, scripts are often held in spreadsheets, emails, runbooks, etc. Environment configurations start to drift, database deployments are impeded by a lack of visibility into the state of the database, and the risk of failing in production is high. Supporting Agile development practices like Branching/Merging or Continuous Delivery is difficult, if not impossible.
Datical’s data model creates a living history inside the database so you understand its current state at any point in time.
- Snapshot existing databases to form a baseline and bring them under source control
- Compare and Sync to eliminate configuration drift across environments
- Support Branching/Merging, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Delivery
Challenge: Validating Database Changes
Scripts are binary – they either work or they don’t. When they don’t work, you rarely get concise information as to why. What worked in one environment fails in the next, and deployments rely on individual heroics as the Enterprise DBA tweaks changes to get them to work.
Datical’s model-based approach allows you to validate database changes before deploying them to a target environment.
- Forecast models changes in memory against a target, increasing release confidence
- DB Status provides a queue of pending changes
- Selectively Deploy Changes based on the specific goals of your maintenance window
- Advanced Rollback provides maximum flexibility in the event of a failed deployment
Challenge: Migrating to the Latest Release
Catching the database up over several iterations is a task fraught with risk for the Enterprise DBA. What changes have been run? What changes still need to be run? What set of scripts, and in what order, is required to catch the database up?
Datical’s data model creates a living history of your database so you instantly understand what release the database is at, and what changes need to be executed to bring it up to date.
- Changelog versions your database changes in sync with the application code
- DB Status shows the current release, and pending changes to migrate to the latest release
- Snapshot any database to baseline the current release, Compare and Sync to catch it up